Sunday, September 14, 2008

The Moon Festival 中秋節

On the lunar 15th of August, it is the Taiwanese Moon Festival. We celebrate by moon gazing, and by eating mooncakes and pomelo.

The mooncake is a small bun-sized cake, usually containing mung or aduki bean within a layer of custard paste inside a sweet pastry. Moon cakes come in gift boxes and the handmade ones are yummy.

We also eat pomelo because the pomelo season coincides with the Moon Festival. The pomelo is a pear-shaped citrus that has a unique bitter, tangy taste and ginormous segments that are easy to peel.



3 comments:

Mike Hemsley said...

I'm glad your blog is now open for comments; a blog is a good way to keep in touch!

Tim Budden said...

Hi P. What's your pet's name? Is it a turtle or a terrapin? When did you get it? How old is it? Where does it live in your house - the bathtub? Tell me the answers if you want to. I'm hoping to make some Lego videos and put them on You tube. I'm looking forward to reading your next blog.
Adam

fizzyphoebe said...

hi adam
gonna write about fizzy (hopefully)soon.watch this space!